Saturday, September 4, 2010

You put dish soap in the DISHWASHER!?

Day 3.

It's a good thing I'm writing a blog because otherwise I would not be able to keep track of the days going by. Everything is going so quickly I don't know what to do except post here because it's new and exciting.

So, we have all figured out that this flat is basically "The Real World-AU-London." There are 12 of us living in a flat, working together and having our lives taped. To find out what happens when people stop being polite, and start getting REAL! Just kidding, but honestly, minus the taping part that's us. We are already bonding faster than I could have possibly imagined. We go out together, we hang out in the flat together, and we're coordinating buying textbooks together to cut the cost.

The names: Cierra, my roommate who happens to be in my fraternity and she is absolutely hysterical. Genna, loud, fun, and from Long Island so obviously we get along. The boys next door are Matt, a brother in PIKE so the frat guy of the house, Joe - the sweetheart, Paul - okay he's a sweetheart too, then the other girls downstairs Monica and Jill who are a ton of fun too. Alex and Dennis, also nice guys who I knew previously to getting here because we're all in Kogod. I'm skipping two because they don't really associate with our group but their names are Ruth and Thomas, who seem nice also.

Yesterday, after all of those lectures, we all decided that we wanted to go to a pub for the evening activity. We were told that some places are now saying 21+ to weed out all of the 16 year olds trying to sneak in, but we ended up not having that problem. I hope it's not a real rule, because otherwise I'm screwed. I doubt it is though, because at Sainsburys (aka A&P) the lady at the register asked me how old I was, I told her 19, and then she swiped my liquor as though my word was a valid way of testing my age.

Joe and I picked out a place close to our flat called "The Builders Arms" and I wrote down the directions and we all got ready together and left (minus Dennis, Alex, Ruth, and Thomas). Joe is much better with a sense of direction than I am, so I handed him the directions and let him lead the way. Apparently I skipped writing down a street, so we got kind of lost and ended up asking people on the street for a good pub to go to. After an hour or so of walking we finally founda place called, "The Greyhound." Matt saw the sign and said "Guys, there's an animal on the sign. Definitely a pub." I'm guessing that's a good way to pick them out, haha.

When we got there it was hopping! There were about 20 people smoking outside (so many people we thought there was a line to get in) and when we got in the soccer game was on between England and Bulgaria. Obviously, I was SUPER pumped, because it was an authentic pub, in the middle of Kensington, and we were the only Americans which meant the other 300 FIE students haven't found it yet :) Anyway, I was at the bar and had no idea what type of beer to get. I wanted a British beer because who drinks Corona or Becks or Stella when you're in LONDON! So, this sweet (okay, really cute!) British guy was next to me so I decided to be bold and tap him on the shoulder and ask him what type to get. He said the "Doom Bar" was good or "London Gold" which were both British bitter ales and "flat." Silly me, I thought that was a slang term, but they really are flat. As he was ordering 3 of his "mates" came into the pub and threw him pounds to get them drinks so when the four pints came he gave me a sip of Doom Bar and London Gold to see what I liked more. It was quite funny being at the bar and having this random dude give me a taste test of his friends' beers, but I just went with it. The beers were flat and quite disgusting, but because he recommended them I didn't want to NOT order it, so I did. They were only 2.25 so they were the best deal there.

So there we were 8 American students, chillin' in a British pub watching the football game. It was SUCH an amazing feeling. I can't even describe how wonderful it is here. Our flat is gorgeous, we all get along, and there are pubs and shops and people everywhere!

OH! The title of my post. So, we got back from the pub and Paul had thought it was a good idea to use dish soap in the dishwasher because we didn't have any detergent. Well, after seeing the suds flowing out of the dishwasher, we all knew that was NOT the best idea in the world. I was scooping the suds with my hands into the sink, but it did no good and everyone ended up laughing at me (Genna took pictures). Quite a funny moment in the flat.

Today we were all hungover and rolled out of bed for a coach bus tour of London. It was fun to see the sights, I must say, but it wasn't personal because we were sitting in a bus and not really walking the streets. We got back and all passed out and I just woke up. I'm now sitting on the couch in the living room writing to all of you. Tonight we're going to find "The Builders Arms." I am dedicated to finding this stupid pub.

DAD - if you're reading this I asked the tour guide who was an older man about the Blitz. We'll skype and talk about it, but I'm not posting the details in my blog.

I PROMISE to post pictures on facebook soon. This is a whole lot of text and not a lot of photography. I've already took pictures, so by tomorrow they'll be up :)

Word of the day:
CHEERS - they're way of saying goodbye, but really they say it all the time. Our tour bus said goodbye by saying "Cheers!" I love it.

Love,

Miriam

No comments: